The challenges facing construction are well documented. The combination of more demanding clients and stakeholders, deteriorating quality of traditional build techniques and increasing skills shortages mean the industry has reached a critical crossroad.
With a call for a step change in productivity and build quality, offsite and modular techniques offer the most realistic solution to this problem. The ideas behind this approach have existed for many years, however the entrenched self-interest and short-termism that characterizes construction has stifled its wide-spread application. As the industry exemplar, Laing O'Rourke is making the necessary investments to create real critical mass in the delivery of pre-assembly and modular solutions.
Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA)
Through our innovative Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA) methodology we are leading a step-change in the increased productivity of the construction process, tangible quality improvements and the associated reduction in true costs.
As a result more client organizations than ever before are recognizing the need for innovative building techniques that are safer, cleaner and more efficient, and which minimize disruption, guarantee quality and cost, and save time.
Working collaboratively with our extensive base of public and private sector clients and the architecture, design and delivery supply chain we are driving for this value-based agenda to be more widely understood and applied, creating the mechanisms which will enable offsite and modular design thinking to become the future industry standard for construction solutions worldwide.
State-Of-The-Art Manufacturing Capabilities
EPCS's manufacturing and modular solutions are transforming traditional construction methodologies into a modern process of component-based assembly. Our global capability provides product sets including precast concrete building components, pre-stressed concrete sleepers for major railways, modular mechanical and electrical plant installations, enclosed conveyor and gantry systems for the mining industry and completed internal room and services 'pods'.
The social, environment and economic benefits of DfMA cover:
- Safer, cleaner delivery with improved health and safety performance on site and a safer, operational asset over its lifetime.
- Higher quality construction with guaranteed quality assurance levels achieved on the end-product
- Speed – innovative construction projects delivered up to 50% faster than traditional construction, enabling an earlier return on investment
- Standardise the invisible, customise the visible - an extensive range of interior and exterior options ensure complete design flexibility
- Earlier adoption of the latest innovations, fully tested and approved prior to commissioning
- Greater sustainability through advantages in thermal and environmental performance, lower operational maintenance costs and less waste generation in the construction phase
- Less waste and greater onsite recycling of materials delivers a 'greener' construction outcome
- Greater efficiency in site logistics with up to 90% fewer vehicle movements reducing disruption to the surrounding communities
- State-of-the-art manufacturing facilities adopting lean automation processes utilising the latest technologies, providing the necessary scale and capacity to meet all project demands.